Making friends after 30
Jerry Seinfeld has a great bit about how hard it is to make friends after 30.
After 30 the door for new friendships closes he explains. When you’re a kid that door is wide open. The only prerequisite for friendship is . . . being a kid and proximity to your house. You move to a new neighbourhood, walk out your front door, approach the first kid you see and say,
“Hey! You’re a kid. I’m a kid. Let’s be friends!”
Kids aren’t completely void of discernment, mind you. The friendship continues deepen when you find a common point of interest. It seems so miraculous to you at the time,
“You like Cherry Coke?! I like Cherry Coke!? Let’s be best friends!”
Stoke for cherry coke
This is my “Cherry Coke” post. I hope you dig some of these things. Maybe we can strike up a new friendship based on our mutual stoke for “Cherry Coke.”
- Not Cherry Coke
- Pizza: Hawaiian Pizza, although most any cheese and sauce covered bread is welcomed.
- Alt Country/Folk: Ryan Adams
- Snow: always on the hunt for a sweet bottomless powder turn.
- Skiing: nothing beats some quiet time on the skin track. Just you, some sweet songs, and a ridge to climb. Earn yer turns brah!
- Patagonia: If I was going to join a cult, this would probably be it. I’ve drank the Kool-Aid.
- Road tripping: love me some storm-chasing. I have to be driving, classic type-A.
- Fine Art: I’m big on impressionism. I would loved to have been a painter but I’m terribly impatient.
- Reading: Crime and Punishment is probably my favourite book, but I loved Harry Potter just as much. Also, I’d much rather have magical powers than have murdered someone.
- Climbing: Trying really hard to break into the 12s. I still haven’t red-pointed one, nor will I anytime soon.
- Big Dogs: anything smaller than 60 lbs is a cat.
- I’m dreading the day my iPod Classic finally kicks the bucket.
- I love the number thirteen. I am immune to thriskaidekaphobia.
- Vintage Gibson guitars.
*a very special thanks to my good buddy Rob Whelan for the image. A solid friend I met after 30. Sharing Cherry Cokes since 2016. Check out his work: www.robwhelanphotography.com